Initiative Contemporary Arts Museum Project – ICAMP
Time of project: From July 2013 to July 2014
Opening Ceremony: Fri 13 Dec 2013, 5.30 pm
Muong’s Cultural Space Museum
I-CAMP 2013 is the first phase of the Art project called “Initiative – Contemporary Arts Museum”, abbreviated I-CAMP. It is initiated based on the idea of Curator Tran Luong, collaborating with Muong Studio – Art center of the Muong’s Cultural Space Museum. The idea of I-CAMP also matches the orientation of developing Contemporary Arts in Vietnam of the Muong’s Cultural Space Museum, started since 2011.
I-CAMP 2013 is an art project aiming to create an open space for storing and exhibiting contemporary artworks in Muong Studio. The project will collect works of Vietnamese artists that made in recent years, or help artist to build work basing on good ideas that do not have condition to implement, perform and show to audience and community as well. All of works and the art space will be kept until the end of project (7 months) at Muong Studio, to set the first step of concept and thinking of a specific Museum for Contemporary arts to art lovers, public and society in Vietnam.
I-CAMP’s time is unlimited and can be last for years later, depending on the ability and condition of organization. The first phase of I-CAMP is from July 2013 to the end of July 2014.
Artist Nguyen Trinh Thi
GOALS OF I-CAMP 2013:
– Create a display space for contemporary art
Lay the foundation and pave the way for the construction of the first Museum of Contemporary Art Vietnam.
– Create and develop spaces for cultural-art exchange
Space for Contemporary art gallery, combining the available collection of Museum of Muong Cultural Space will be the highlight attraction and engage the attention of artists in the country and abroad, researchers, art critics and other cultural industries, visitors, art lovers to exchange information and organize seminars for connecting artists, thus promoting the development of contemporary art in the country.
– Developing local culture:
Hoa Binh is a midland area, the long-time residential area of the Muong and Muong culture, one of the cradles of modern Vietnamese culture. Muong Cultural Space Museum is the first museum specializing in storage, collection and exhibits the cultural heritage from ancient Muong in Hoa Binh. The emergence of contemporary art at the Museum of Muong Cultural Art Space will be a strong chemical catalyst in linking modern cultural factors with ancient cultural heritage when they co-exist in the same displaying space.
– Looking to a Contemporary Arts Museum in Vietnam:
Today, in many developed countries in all over the world and in Southeast Asia as well, there exist one to several Museums of Contemporary Arts, various in scale, form and operation. However, there is no similar place to meet the needs of people – both foreigner and Vietnamese – who have interests in new art trends and activities. I-CAMP aims to bring out an vision of a Museum for Contemporary Arts in Vietnam, and that is actualizing in this project by works of Vietnamese artists and the hold art space in Muong Studio.
Artist Nguyen The Son
THE MAIN ACTIVITIES OF THE PROJECT:
– Implementing work: The works of the selected Curator will be transported, assembled and displayed at the implementation space available in the Muong Cultural Space Museum. The ideas selected will be done in the same time. The entire work will be completed in a period of 7 days and end 2 days before the opening of the exhibition project. Museum of Muong Cultural Space will be open free for visitors everywhere to have the opportunity to see live and contact with the artists in the construction of the work.
– Exhibition and Art Performances
After the implementation of the work, the work of project I- Camp will be released in a public opening ceremony exhibition 12.07.2013, at the Museum of Muong Cultural Space, the main venue of the event. During the exhibition there will be Contemporary performances, Art Video Projection, Sound Art in the interaction with ancient Muong gongs and dancing. These are not only the application of art but also a part of the work that artists contributed to this public activity. The contemporary works of the project will then be stored for a long time in the space of Muong Museum, as the first space of preservation and exhibition of contemporary art in Vietnam.
– Press conference and art talk
The press conference will take place before the opening of the exhibition, with the aim of widely reported and provide complete information about the project, purpose, content, and artists work through the channels of communication to the wider public. Art talks will take place after the Opening Ceremony, at least 2 sessions in Hoa Binh and Ha Noi. This is an opportunity for direct interaction and exchange between artists and the public about aspects of the project, contemporary thinking through art works, from which the public can raise their awareness about the culture – art, aesthetics, values and language of contemporary art, which has not been understood and properly enjoyed in Vietnam.
Artist Nguyen Xuan Son (Son X)
1. Nguyễn Huy An, Visual artist, Hanoi
2. Ngô Thành Bắc, Visual artist, Hanoi
3. Trương Công Tùng, Visual artist, Hochiminh city
4. Phạm Hồng, Visual artist, Hanoi
5. Nguyễn Thị Thanh Mai, Visual artist, Hue city
6. Nguyễn Trí Mạnh, Visual artist, Hanoi
7. Phan Thảo Nguyên, Visual artist, Hochiminh city
8. Vũ Hồng Ninh, Visual artist, Hanoi
9. Nguyễn Thế Sơn, Visual artist, Hanoi
10. Nguyễn Xuân Sơn (Sơn X), Sound & Media artist, Hanoi
11. Nguyễn Trinh Thi, Video artist, Hanoi
12. Lương Huệ Trinh, Sound & Media artist, Hanoi
13. Triệu Minh Hải, Visual artist, Hanoi
– Curator: Tran Luong
– Organisation: Muong Studio
– Sponsor: The Cultural Development and Exchange Fund (CDEF) of Denmark Embassy.
Artist Pham Hong
TIMELINE OF THE PROJECT
– September – 30/10/2013: Selecting and collecting the work to Muong Studio, Museum of Muong Cultural Space, Hoa Binh.
– 25/11- 12/12/2013: Display, assemble the works in Muong Studio.
– 13/12/2013: Opening the exhibition of art works in the project. Performances of contemporary art: video projection, audio players, performances… such a diverse show of contemporary art forms happening in the same space and time. The works will be stored and displayed permanently in Muong Studio.
– 14/12/2013: Art talk about the project content at Muong Studio, Hoa Binh. Another art talk will be held in Hanoi after 10 days. Announcement of project’s ending.
Artist Luong Hue Trinh